The Extraordinaires need your imagination!
Become a product designer and invent wildly imaginative objects for the Extraordinaires. Each Extraordinaire is a larger-than-life character with extraordinary needs. They live in a unique environment, have different physical needs or have an unusual job. It's your job to design the ultimate objects to fit their worlds.
How To Play:
- Pick three Extraordinaire from a shuffled deck. There are a range of Extraordinaires available, from a Merman to an Astronaut. Each card has a picture of the Extraordinaire on the front and, when you turn it over, a little more insight into their world.
- Pick three Object cards from the deck - this is what your Extraordinaire needs you to create for them. Assign one Object to each character. These Objects could be something to sit on, something to wear and much more.
- You also have Think cards in three categories - Research, Design, Improve. You sort these into three facedown piles.
- Now choose which Design job you are going to do - pick an Extraordinaire and their Object from the three option.
- It is now your challenge to design this object for this Extraordinaire.
- Use your Idea Pad and Pen to design the ultimate Object to suit the needs of the Extraordinaire. Describe your ideas using doodles and words. You don't have to be a good artist - good design is about good ideas!
- Use Think cards to help you with your design. Good designers ask questions and this is where your Think cards help you.
- The Research cards prompt you to take a closer look at the Extraordinaire's world e.g. What is different about where the Extraordinaire lives or works? - The Design cards introduce different aspects of design like materials, shapes and colours e.g. How will your design be put away when not in use?
- The Improve cards push you to think about your design and make it even better e.g. How can you make your design more friendly to the environment?
- Once you're happy with your design, give it a catchy name!
- Now it's time to share your ideas - present your idea to a parent or friend. Start with the name of your design and explain why the Extraordinaire needs your product. Describe your concept, your research and what makes your design great! This gives you a chance to rationalise your idea and tie all the aspects of the design together, as well as building up some really great presentation skills.
You can also download an accompanying app that allows you to upload your designs and create a "portfolio".
You can play alone or in multiplayer mode. In multiplayer, each player takes a design job. You can set a time limit on the game allowing the designs to be casual or serious. The designs are named and presented just like single player mode, however there is now the addition of Award cards. After the presentations, each player is dealt an award card e.g. Best Presentation, the player then awards the player they think gave the best presentation and explains why. If you want a more competitive game, play multiple rounds. The person who wins the greatest variety of awards is the winner.
The Extraordinaires gives your imagination and creativity a workout, challenging you to think in new ways.