Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria
Humans, Elves, and Dwarves have stolen our lands and slain our people. It's time for the Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria to fight back!
Valeria is a rich and wonderful world that you've come to know through Valeria: Card Kingdoms, Villages of Valeria, Quests of Valeria, Corsairs of Valeria, and Margraves of Valeria. Each game is unique and brings new experiences to the gaming space and to the lore of the Valeria Universe. Now it's time to look at the Valeria Universe from a darker perspective. The monsters are fed up with the Humans, Elves and Dwarves encroaching on their lands and slaying their populace. It's time for monster-kind to take back what was once theirs. It's time for the Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria!
What Happens in a Typical Turn?
Each player has a Warden token (Gargoyle, Orc, Goblin, Skeleton, and Gnoll) that begins the game on the Camp location on their player board. The first action on your turn is to move your Warden from its current location to a new location – any one of the five Shadow Shrines shown on the game board.
When you move your Warden to a Shrine, you immediately take one of the several Troop dice located on that Shrine and add it to a Troop position on your player board. Each die shows a Troop Strength, a Troop Type, and a Discount value that will aid you in certain Shrine actions.
- Gem Shrine: After taking a Troop die, take a Gem token from the Gem Shrine and add it to the Gem storage area on your player board. A Gem can be used to flip a Troop die to its opposite side or to make a Troop die wild, allowing it to be any Troop type.
- Magic Shrine: After taking a Troop die, gain two Magic on the resource track on your player board. Later in the game, instead of gaining Magic, you can use this Shrine to claim Awards that give you bonus VP for achieving certain goals.
- Champion Shrine: After taking a Troop die, use Gold from your resource track to purchase a Champion card from the three draft lines on the right side of the game board. Each line has a different type of Champion: Instant Benefit, Ongoing Power, or Endgame Bonus VP. The Troop die's Discount is used to reduce the cost of the Champion you purchase. The Champion cards are a key component in your engine building strategies.
- Gold Shrine: After taking a Troop die, gain Gold equal to the die's Discount value and add it to the resource track on your player board.
- Tactics Shrine: After taking a Troop die, use Gold from your resource track to reserve a Battle Plan card from the draft line on the left side of the game board. Battle Plans are most expensive when they are first revealed and become cheaper as older cards are taken. The Troop die's Discount is used to reduce the cost of the Battle Plan you reserve.
After your Warden has visited several Shrines over a series of turns, you'll have a collection of Troop dice and it will be time to put them to work by completing a Battle Plan. To do this, use your Warden's move to return to the Camp on your player board.
- Select one of your reserved Battle Plans or buy a Battle Plan directly from the draft line using Gold from your resource track.
- Assign dice from your available Troops to match the Troop needed by your chosen Battle Plan. Remember, if necessary, a Gem can make a die any Troop Type you need.
- Add the strength values on each selected Troop die to tally your army's strength. At this time you can use a Gem to flip a die to its opposite side and you can use Magic from your resource track to increase or decrease the value of your selected Troop dice. Certain Champion cards can also grant bonus strength to your Troops.
- Once you've determined the strength of your Troops, compare that number to the number of Influence points on your resource track. If the strength is higher, it gets knocked down to equal your Influence. If the Influence is higher, check to see if there's any way to increase your strength a little more.
- Now that your Troops are as strong as they can be, compare that number to the chart in your Camp to see how many Victory Points that Battle earned for you.
Upgrading Your Player Board
Completing Battle Plans is the chief way of scoring Victory Points, but it also allows you to upgrade your player board to make your game engine more powerful, provide versatile abilities, and the chance to earn bonus Victory Points.
- At the start of the game, all of the circles on your player board are covered with Conquest Markers that limit your Warden's abilities. After completing a Battle Plan you'll take one of the Conquest Markers off your player board, unlocking improvements like the ability to collect more Champions, a strength bonus in every battle, more Troop dice slots, expanded resource limits, and much more. Each player can upgrade their player board in a unique way that best suits their evolving strategy.
- When you move that Conquest Marker to the Campaign Board, you'll have the option of placing it on any of the available Skirmish Areas on the Campaign board. The Skirmish Area you choose will grant you bonus Victory Points if the Battle Plan you just completed meets various conditions such as the Battle Type, the Troop Types used, or your total strength in the battle.
- As the Conquest Markers on your Campaign Board accumulate, you earn additional rewards through Chain Bonuses that trigger when adjacent Skirmish Areas are covered. You'll earn more resources, gain extra Influence, and acquire free Troop dice and Champion cards.
What's Your Strategy?
Turns are simple in Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria, but as the game progresses you'll find exciting complexity nestled within your decisions, making every game more interesting than the last.
- Do you focus on recruiting Gold producing Champions with On-going effects to create an unstoppable resource machine?
- Is your goal to recruit a horde of low-cost minions to help you race to your goal before your opponents and overwhelm them?
- How about unlocking additional Battle Plan slots, utilizing their powers to rapidly recruit Troop dice and hire Champions when there are no dice left at the Champions Shrine?
- Perhaps your strategy lies with achieving a monumental amount of Influence that allows you to dominate each Battle Plan and shoot for the elusive 21VP conquest?
The choice is yours!
Every Kickstarter copy of Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria will include 4 Advanced Expansion Modules. We will sell these modules on our website, of course, but these modules will not be available in retail stores. The modules are yours free in each copy of Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria you receive through this Kickstarter.
Module #1: Shrine of the Titans
This is a 6th Shrine that occupies the cavern at the center of the game board. After each battle, you will place your highest value Troop die into the Shrine of the Titans.
The Shrine can hold a number of Troop dice equal to the number of players. On your turn, you can move your Warden token to the Shrine of the Titans and buy up to 3 dice...if you have enough Gold. This module also includes 5 additional Troop dice.
Module #2: Great Battles
This is a set of 10 oversized Battle Plan cards in which all the players can participate. 2 Great Battle cards are always available throughout the game and each time you complete a regular Battle Plan, you check your dice to see if any of them match the Troop Types noted on the Great Battle cards. If there's a match, you add the lowest strength matching die to one of the Great Battle cards along with one of your Participation Markers. You immediately gain the reward on the Troop Position chosen.
When all 5 Troop positions are filled on a Great Battle, the card is resolved and each Participation marker on that card earns you a share of the Victory Points for that Great Battle. This module also includes 20 Participation Markers and 5 additional Troop dice.
Module #3: Ancient Spells
This is a set of 28 cards (44x68mm) with 2 of 6 unique and powerful actions spread throughout the cards in every possible combination. During setup, shuffle the cards and give 3 to each player.
At any time during your turn, you may play an Ancient Spell card from your hand to perform one of the two available powers. It's important to note that playing an Ancient Spell card is a free action along with your regular action. These spells are meant to augment and boost specific actions, dice, etc.
Module #4: Wraith Dice
This is a set of 5 purple custom dice (16mm - same size as the other dice in the game). During setup, just toss the 5 Wraith Dice into the bag along with the usual dice needed for your number of players. Each die has Strength of 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, and 3, (opposite sides always add up to 4) so they are weaker than the regular Troop dice, but this also means that they're more likely to give you better Discounts if you draft them at the Tactics and Champions Shines, and more likely to pay out more gold if you draft them from Gold Shrine.
Wraith dice are considered WILD when completing any Battle Plan. So, even though they're weak, they can be any Troop Type you need. Wraith dice are also wild if you put them on a Great Battle card (Module #2). When you draft a Wraith die, it DOES NOT take up a Troop slot on your Player Board! You just set it somewhere on your Camp and use it when you need it most. The flexibility of these new dice will add lots of new play options to your game of Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria.
Inside the Box:
- Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria
- Shrine of the Titans
- Great Battles
- Ancient Spells
- Wraith Dice
No. Players 1 - 5
Time 30 - 75 mins